Insufficient facial symmetry and proportion can result from using fillers or undergoing lip augmentation early in the growth process. It is common for younger people to desire dramatic changes, resulting in overcorrection or exaggerated outcomes.
FDA-approved lip fillers are available for patients over 21, but patients over 18 may also receive this treatment. Under 18 may receive fills with parental consent , but reputable injectors may refuse therapy until the patient is 18.
In this blog post, we discuss the age requirement for lip injections, the risks of lip injections before age, and the benefits of lip injections after a suitable period.
How Old Do You Have to Be for Lip Injections: 7 Risks
The risks associated with lip injections before age can be significant. Prioritizing one's health and well-being means choosing to undergo such cosmetic procedures only when it is deemed safe and suitable by medical professionals. Here are some risks of lip injections before the age:
- Lack of Facial Maturity: Typically, the lips continue to grow and develop until 18-21. Getting lip injections before that age can cause changes in the growth pattern and final lip shape, making it difficult to correct the outcome.
- Increased Likelihood of Allergic Reactions: Younger patients are more prone to allergic reactions, which can be severe given that the body's immune system isn't fully developed.
- Psychological Risks: Getting lip injections too early can suggest that the patient has body dysmorphia or low self-esteem, leading them to undergo cosmetic procedures repeatedly.
- Health Risks: Any cosmetic procedure comes with risks, from infection to nerve damage, and the effects on youthful bodies are not entirely understood.
- Permanent Damage to Lip Structure: Another risk is permanent damage to the lip structure. Injecting lip fillers into underage people can disrupt natural development and lead to irreparable damage. Excessive stuffing can also cause a "trout pout" or a lumpy, uneven appearance that often requires corrective surgery.
- Unrealistic Expectations: Many teenagers and young adults have unrealistic expectations regarding cosmetic procedures.Sometimes, they may seek to replicate the lips of celebrities they admire, which may not be a realistic goal.
- Social Pressure: Young people may feel pressured by social media and peer pressure to conform to a certain standard of beauty. It is important to remember that everyone's lips are unique, and what works for one person may not work for another.
Lip Injections at the Right Age: 7 Benefits
Lip injections depend on age. It's essential to wait until a certain age for safety and effectiveness. Most surgeons recommend waiting until the mid-to-late twenties when the face has stopped growing and the lips have fully developed. Lip injections are beneficial when done at the right age. Below are some of the most significant benefits:
- Reduced Risks: Waiting until the face has matured minimizes potential disruptions in natural growth patterns or adverse effects on facial harmony.
- Informed Decision-Making: Greater maturity allows individuals to make informed choices, understanding the procedure's risks, benefits, and potential long-term implications.
- Enhanced Satisfaction: Waiting until the proper age ensures that individuals are emotionally prepared and seek enhancements for personal reasons, leading to greater satisfaction with the outcomes.
- Personal Confidence: Choosing the right age allows individuals to feel more confident in their decisions, fostering a positive self-image and self-assurance.
- Enhanced Recovery: The body's resilience and recovery processes are better in individuals who have reached the age, resulting in smoother post-procedural experiences.
- Facial Harmony: Undergoing lip injections when facial features have fully matured ensures that enhancements complement natural proportions and facial symmetry.
- Emotional Maturity: The right age allows you to possess mature decision-making skills, ensuring you fully comprehend the procedure's implications and have realistic expectations.
We hope you understand age regulations for lip injections, their safety, and the procedure outcomes. If you're considering getting lip injections, we'd encourage you to research thoroughly and select a reputable cosmetic surgeon with experience performing the procedure.
Your age should not deter you from seeking the appearance you desire. The health of your lips and face must be the priority for any system. As with any cosmetic treatment, ensure your sagacity and choose your physician wisely to achieve the best possible results and a safe, pleasant process.