Piercing is prone to pus filled bumps. In this case, we are going to tell you what to do.
Piercing is vulnerable to several complications including pus filled bumps, no matter if you get it on the nose or the ear. Over the time, the condition can be worse as the bumps tend to turn red and get swollen. This is because your wound is exposed to the bacteria and foreign elements. Don’t worry!
Here we have come up with easy aftercare instructions to take care of your piercing bumps at home.
- Take off your piercing earring and wipe it with a saline solution or alcohol.
- Clean your piercing area with a saline solution. However, avoid using alcohol or hydrogen peroxide as it may irritate your skin and remove the while blood cells that fight infection. Don’t use topical ointment as they cut off the air supply to the wound.
- Use hot compress with hot water and Epsom salt onto your piercing area. Leave it for few minutes to make the infection drain out.
- Use a cotton swab to clean the pus coming out of the infection.
- Keep your affected area clean and dry
- Cover it with breathable dressing and change it frequently
- Use OTC ointment to treat the affected area.
- You can also use home remedies like tea tree oil or neem oil which are packed with healing properties. Make sure to dilute tea tree oil with some parts of water to avoid irritation due to strong concentration.
When to See Your Physician?
See your physician as soon as possible if the piercing area is continued to discharge redness and have swelling. You should get it cured before it can cover the whole part.
Here are the symptoms signaling you to visit your doctor:
- Swelling, and difficult to move earring
- Infection affecting the surrounding area
- Experiencing fever, inflammation and extreme pain
How to Prevent Your Piercing Being Filled with Pus?
- Always wear clean jewelry and avoid touching it with dirty hands every now and then.
- Don’t wear tight jewelries
- Avoid wearing cheap metal jewelry as they can react with your piercing wound such as sterling silver and costume jewelry. Wear only the jewelry made of surgical steel, tygon, niobium and gold.
- Clean your piercing jewelries with saline solution or alcohol to make them disinfected
With the help of these steps, you can take care of your pus filled bumps at home.