Fresh tattoo should be given a time to heal properly. Plus, it requires specific care to get protection from infection and swelling. This super tattoo aftercare plan includes everything!
The experience is unmatched and quite overwhelming when the tattoo artist finishes with your tattoo. How superb it is to look at the beautiful art on your arm or chest.
But things are not over for you. Remember, your new tattoo should be taken care of. Technically, it is a fresh wound which needs time to be healed. It should be protected as it is easily vulnerable to infection and other complications. Or you can see your tattoo is bleeding.
Therefore, it is important to take care of your new tattoo.
Luckily, tattoo aftercare is not that difficult, and can be completed within a couple of week.
Here we have created an efficient tattoo aftercare plan for the first 12 days of your new tattoo.
Day 1 includes the precautions which should be performed immediately after getting a new tattoo. Here is what you should follow…
- Follow your artist’s instructions.
- Cover the tattooed area with a wrap\ for an hour or more. Take of the wrap and clean the tattooed area with wet paper towel. It is normal to experience swelling or tenderness on your tattooed skin.
- Apply antibacterial ointment every four hours.
- Avoiding covering your tattoo while taking shower. Make sure to apply ointment after taking shower.
Days 2 to 5:
At this stage, the tattoo remains tender while the ink is fresh and vibrant. Here you need to be extra careful. Keep your tattoo moisturized as possible.
- Clean your tattoo with a damp paper towel before you apply an ointment.
- Don’t pick your scabs as this is the part of healing. Itching and peeling last for 4-5 days.
- You can replace your antibacterial ointment with your regular lotion. Make sure to use the lotion frequently to prevent dryness.
Say No to These Things During This Period
- Gym, beach and sauna as they cause excessive sweating.
- Exposing new tattoo to the sun
- Tanning and Sun bed
- Swimming as chlorine may harm your tattoo
- Harmful chemicals like bleaches, cements and construction materials.
- Use only lotion to take care of your tattoo against sheen and dryness.
- Resume your workout, but make sure to clean the skin afterwards.
- Avoid sauna and sunbathing.
Following the precautions for these 12 days will speed up the healing of your tattoo. And you can resume your normal life. You can go for touch ups for lighter lines and designs.
Once your tattoo is healed completely, you are free to do workouts, swimming and other things. However, the tattoo fades over the time. Luckily, you can keep your tattoo shiner for a long time with these tips.
- Protect your tattoo from direct sun exposure wearing sunscreen.
- Don’t soak your tattoo for longer.
- Don’t pick or scratch scabs on tattoo spot.
- Don’t let harsh chemical or product sit on your tattooed skin.
- Wipe the sweat off the tattoo with a towel.