Bump on your piercing is painful and dangerous. Here are the tips to take care of your piercing bumps.
Whether it’s your ear piercing or nose piercing, your piercing is painful and risky with the bumps filled with pus. And it is the sign of the severe infection that can be worse over a time as these bumps can turns red and get swollen. Piercing infection occurs when the wound is exposed to the bacteria. Fret not! You can treat your piercing bumps at home with easy aftercare instructions. To drain and heal infected ear piercing, you must keep these steps in mind:
- Remove your piercing earring and clean it with a saline solution. Avoid hydrogen peroxide as it may irritate your skin and may kill the white blood cells which can battle infection. Similarly, you must not use topical ointment as they can cut off the air supply to the wound.
- Apply hot compress with hot water and Epsom salt onto your piercing area. Leave it for few minutes to make the infection drain out.
- Use a cotton swab to clean the pus coming out of the infection.
- Keep the area with pus discharging clean and dry
- Cover it with breathable dressing and change it regularly
- You can OTC ointment to treat your ear piercing drainage
- There are several home remedies like tea tree oil and neem oil which are antibacterial and can heal your infected ear piercing.
When to Visit Your Doctor?
If the pus is continued to discharge with redness and extreme swelling, you must see your physician as soon as possible. This is important as the infection may turn into worse one which may cover the whole part.
Here are the signs signaling you to see your physician:
- Swelling, and difficult to move earring
- Infection affecting the surrounding area
- Experiencing fever, inflammation and extreme pain
How to Prevent Your Piercing Being Filled with Pus?
- Keep your piercing clean and don’t touch it with dirty hands
- Avoid wearing tight jewelries
- Don’t wear cheap metal jewelry as they can react with your piercing wound such as sterling silver and costume jewelry. Wear only the jewelry made of surgical steel, tygon, niobium and gold.
- Clean your piercing jewelries with saline solution or alcohol to make them disinfected
So, these are the tips to take care of your pus filled bumps at home.