Learn here how to take care of your fresh piercing. Here we have rounded up specific aftercare plan for common body piercing.
A fresh piercing is like a wound. And a wound is always prone to infection, scarring, puss and other complications. This is why you need to take care of your piercing unless you achieve complete healing, whether it’s a nose piercing or belly button piercing. In fact, piercing aftercare is as essential as choosing right piercing artist and the safe procedure. Taking care of your piercing will make it look good and heal well.
However, the piercing plan varies a bit based on the type of piercings; but in general, the plan requires you do the following things:
- Cleaning of the piercing
- Avoid touching the piercing frequently
- Ideal time to change the jewelry
- Watching out for the sign of infections
Here we have come up with aftercare plan for common piercings.
Nose piercing is one of the most common body piercings. From a traditional side nostril piercing to the septum piercing, this piercing type offers plenty of choices to you. Each nose piercing has its own time of healing. Side nostril piercing, for example, takes between 4 and 6 months to be fully healed. Septum piercing takes 6 to 8 weeks to heal while a rhino piercing or vertical nose piercing takes about 6 to 9 months. The bridge of the nose has a healing period of about 8 to 12 weeks.
The point is here to follow the aftercare regimen till your healing period. Make sure to stick with the aftercare plan for nose piercing provided by your artist. Aftercare should start on the same day you get the piercing.
- Wash your hands before and after the piercing.
- Avoid touching the jewelry or nose ring every now and then as bacteria in your hands can pass on to the piercing sites. Besides, don’t move the jewelry in and out, as it may lead to hypertrophic scarring.
- Also watch for infection. It is normal to experience pain, redness and swelling for some time. However, if the signs persist longer or you see discharge of green/yellow pus and raised bumps, it may be a sign of infection.
- Don’t use harsh skincare products as it may trigger sensation and irritation. Avoid using rubbing alcohol and peroxide for cleaning the piercing.
- Don’t put makeup over the pierced area.
- Use saline spray to clean the pierced area.
Like nose piercing, ear piercing has many types, from helix piercing, conch piercing, orbital piercing, tragus piercing to industrial piercing. Ear piercing is also vulnerable to infection, swelling, skin scarring and redness. Taking care of the newly pierced ears and keeping them clean is essential for the healing. The piercing aftercare is almost similar to those in nose piercing. However, there is a specific aftercare which affects the healing rate. And that is your sleeping position. If you sleep on the side of ear piercing, it puts pressure on the affected area which in turn hurts and affects the healing rate. Your piercing is also likely to be caught on your sheets or blanket which can increase pain once it may pull out of your ears. Try to sleep on the back till your piercing is healed completely.
Tongue piercing is a complicated type and requires you to be strict with aftercare plan. This is because the tongue is the sensitive part and it is prone to swelling, infection and pain. It can lead to even dire consequences due to the sheer negligence. The aftercare plan is totally different from those for other piercing type.
Keep Your Mouth Clean:
It is an important aftercare step for the tongue which you can’t afford to skip. Make sure to rinse your mouth well before and after having meal. Use the alcohol free mouthwash.
Brush Your Teeth:
Brush your teeth to prevent the accumulation of debris and infection. Be careful while brushing your teeth as it may strike your freshly pierced tongue.
Use Ice Cubes to Minimise Swelling:
Swelling is common in the morning after the piercing. Apply an ice cube to the swollen area to get relief. Or you can put a crushed ice piece in your mouth and let it melt.
Wash Your Hands:
Wash your hands with antibacterial soap before touching or removing the jewelry.
And Avoid these Things
- Kissing, oral sex or biting pens
- Smoking as it can dry out your mouth while nicotine will affect your body’s healing power.
- Alcoholic drinks as they irritate your pierced area.
- Spicy and acidic food till your tongue is completely healed.
Although navel piercing heals relatively quickly, the risk of rejection and migration is always there. Then, you have to be careful about clothing and friction. This is because it is near to the waistline where the jewelry is likely to besnuggled with pants, belts, and shirts. The specific aftercare instructions for navel piercing are…
- Be careful while wearing and taking off the clothes as fabric may snuggle with the jewelry. It is better to wear loose clothes.
- Don’t lie on the stomach.
- Don’t handle the jewelry with contaminated hands.
- Use sea spray over the area.
- Avoid removing your jewellery very often.
So these are the aftercare tips according to the body piercing. However, as we have said earlier, all body piercing have general aftercare guidelines that are given below:
- Always wash your hands before and after handling the piercing.
- Clean your jewelry using saline water or spray.
- Don’t apply harsh chemicals like hydrogen peroxide or alcohol to the pierced areas.
- Don’t apply heavy ointments as they cut out the air supply to the wound.
- Don’t take out your jewelry very often as healing of the body may close the holes.