As the name implies, a lip piercing is a type of body piercing that is done on the lips or the surrounding areas. Over the years, lip piercing has been evolved into many styles. Some styles are inspired by the celeb’s birthmark while some resemble snake bite. Here we have listed some popular type of lip piercings to choose from.
Labret piercing is a popular type of lip piercing.
Many celebrities like Carla Howe, Christina Aguilera, and Kerli wear labret piercing. However, a lip piercing is not actually attached to the lip; instead, it is done under the lip just above the chin. Labret piercing is mainly done in two positions, vertical and horizontal, depending on your preferences.
Horizontal labret piercing is a common type and is done horizontally from front to back. Only one end of the piercing is visible which can be the curveball, spike or jewelry of your choice.
Vertical labret piercing is just like horizontal or normal labret piercing. But the only difference is that the two end of the jewelry is visible in a vertical manner. The curved barbell is the most preferred jewelry in such piercing.
As the name suggests, Monroe piercing is inspired by Marilyn Monroe’s popular birthmark on her upper lip. The piercing is done on the left side of the top upper lip. Generally, a labret stud is a popular jewelry choice in this piercing.
The recommended jewelry gauges for Monroe lip piercing are 14, 16, and 18. Angel bites is a double version of this piercing, meaning that it is done on both sides of the upper lip.
Madonna Lip Piercing:
This one is also a celebrity inspired piercing style. A Madonna piercing is done on the upper lip, off-center on the right, at the same place where Madonna has her mole. It is just like Monroe piercing with the difference that it is done on the right side of the upper lip (while latter is done on the left side.)
Medusa Lip Piercing:
Also known as philtrum piercing, Medusa piercing is an upper lip piercing being done in the area between the upper lip and the septum of the nose. This piercing is inspired by Medusa, a Greek mythological figure who is believed to turn the onlookers into stone if they look into her eyes.
Philtrum region is the area just below the nose. The jewelry is placed directly under the septum of the nose. However, it should be done carefully as a minor mistake can alter the face symmetry. A labret stud is generally used in a Medusa piercing while the ball is positioned outside of the mouth in the dip of the top lip.
Jestrum piercing looks like vertical labret piercing but it is placed on the top lip like the Medusa piercing. This is why it is called a vertical medusa.
It is done on the philtrum of the upper lip, directly under the nasal septum. In this piercing, a curved barbell is used to make both ends of jewelry visible.
Also known as viper bites piercing, spider bites is done on the bottom lip keeping the pair of piercings close together. Simply put, a spider bite piercing is two separate piercings that are kept near each other off to one side of the lower lip. The placement mimics a spider bite, hence named spider bites.
This piercing resembles the snakebite and is placed on both sides of the upper lip. Or you can say that it is a double version of a Monroe lip piercing.
Cyber Bites Piercing:
It is a combined form of the Medusa and Labret piercings, meaning that one piercing is placed just above the upper lip while another is done below the bottom lip.
The Dolphin Bites piercing is two piercings done in the center of the lower lip. It mimics the snake bite piercing, but the difference is that they are closer together.
So these are some popular type of lip piercing. However, it can’t be denied that lip piercing may lead to scarring or infection if they are not done right or not take care of after the process.
Here we have listed the things you should do before and after getting the lip piercing.
What to Do Before Getting the Lip Piercing?
- Always choose an experienced and certified piercing artist, especially who is an expert is lip piercing.
- Take care of your oral hygiene for a few weeks to remove the bacteria which can affect the piercing
- Check which piercing will go well with your facial symmetry.
What to Do After Getting the Lip Piercing?
- Make sure to wear the right metals like gold, surgical stainless steel, and titanium. Never use nickel, copper, and sterling silver.
- Don’t use alcohol-based mouthwash as it can irritate the inner lining of the lip. Instead, use baking soda as it contains the same effect, without affecting the fresh piercing wounds.
- Brush your teeth after each meal and gargle with a warm saline (using sea salt only) mouthwash twice a day.
- Wash your piercing area with anti-microbial soap and clean it with a Q-tip or cotton ball soaked in sea salt solution afterward.
- Don’t touch or play with your piercing as it may attract bacteria.
- Do not apply facial moisturizer, lotion or cosmetic around your piercing.
- Look for the signs of infections. Having pain, swelling and redness is totally common after the piercing. But if these signs last for weeks and you experience fever, then you must see your physician as these may be the signs of infection.
- Eat slowly and carefully.