Looking forward to mole removal? Then you might be in fear of a mole removal scar. However, what most people don't know is that this can be prevented easily. Yes, it is possible if right steps are taken before you start removing a mole. Find out here you can keep a scar away after surgery.
Moles are unpredictable! These can occur any time and anyone. You might be wondering what are these unwanted structures, right?
Basically, a mole is a group of clustered skin cells which can develop on any part of your body. Yes, they can appear anywhere on the body, your face too. While some people have moles from birth, for others these may grow over times. The good thing is that moles are common and harmless. So people, you don't need to worry much.
However, this just the half story! Moles or nevi tend to be small dark growths on the skin. These are said to develop as a result of the accumulation of too many melanocytes. Now depending on the amount of pigment produced, these can differ in color and shape. These might be dark or light brown color, yellow, or pink. Similarly, they may be smooth or thick, and even sometimes hairy.
Of course, they are a hindrance to your appearance. But here you need to know that some of these can become malignant over time, which have to be removed surgically.
How To Remove Unwanted or Malignant Moles?
If you are here to know how to get rid of a mole on your body, you first need to contact your dermatologist to inspect the mole. In fact, the mole should also be tested to make sure it is not potentially cancerous. After checking for its shape, color, and size, your dermatologist will be able to determine which treatment is going to be appropriate for you.
More commonly moles are removed through any of the procedures discussed below:
Yes, it can be painful. Hence, in this case the dermatologist will make use of topical anesthetic solution to numb the area and a small knife or scalpel to cut the mole. The splitting will need a deep and wide cut to ensure that cancerous skin and tissue are removed completely. To ensure that you are comfortable, you can prefer using a FDA approved numbing cream like Dr.Numb® . When applied to your skin as per the procedure, it makes your skin numb for around three to four hours.
Sutures or cauterization (burning) may be necessary to limit damage and promote healing. And there may be some scars left over.
Removal by Shaving
Even in this case you will require a local anesthetic cream. Basically, the process makes use of a scalpel blade to shave or peel off the mole. Hence, the treated area will be left with a flush at surface of your skin. Gradually, a crust will form and after a week or two, it will fall off.
Laser Surgery Removal
This is an advanced method which employs a beam of laser light to warm cells or tissues. This will gradually disrupt tissue cells and break them. After this, the blood vessels are sealed by the laser beam and broken cells will be absorbed by the body as the area heals.
So, whether you want to remove that ugly structure or you doubt it for being cancerous, these processes can be helpful in getting rid of moles. Though it is not a complicated method, but there are still some chances of scarring. In fact, in most cases, a scar will remain after removal Thus, here is become essential to how you can prevent scarring post mole removal.
How To Prevent Scarring Post Mole Removal?
In case, you have decided that you want to remove your moles, but don’t want any scars to be left over, here are some helpful ways:
- Firstly, it is very important that you follow your dermatologist instructions. Be very careful after the mole has been removed. Generally, your dermatologist provides you with all information on how to take care of the affected area. In case, they don’t, you must ask them and follow it!
- In case, there are stitches around the area, you need to be highly carefully and make sure that the entire area is covered properly. This has to be done until all stitches have been removed. Meanwhile, it is essential that you also keep the area clean to prevent bacteria from entering.
- Keep your skin moisturize to avoid scars and these are much more likely to appear on dry skin. Hence, in order to hydrate your skin keeps a natural moisturizer handy and drink lots of water.
- You can have vitamin E capsules at home. Just prick them, and then spread the contents over the affected area. Simply, when vitamin E is applied to a certain area of the skin, this helps nourishing the skin and helps with the healing process. It will strengthen your skin and you are much more likely to avoid scars.
- You can also ask your doctor to provide with a scar treatment cream. These treatment creams are available with natural ingredients to prevent scars. So, you need to apply them to the affected area two or three times a day for between 10 and 12 weeks.
- Don’t forget to massage the area every day. While this increase blood circulation, on the other hand massaging the area and increasing circulation ensure that the necessary nutrients are able to reach the area. So, it will be important in fortifying your skin against possible scars.
Note: Massage the area firmly for two minutes (at least) every day.
- Avoid going in sun as far as possible. In case, you have to go out in the sun for any reasons, don’t forget to use a good quality sunscreen. Actually, the sun’s rays can cause damage to your skin and will worsen it further. This will prevent your skin from healing properly and a scar will become much more likely. Thus, make sure you use sunscreen regardless of weather.
So, with these tips you will be able to care for your skin after mole removal. Not only you will be able to prevent scarring but also it will help avoid reccurrence. Just make sure to keep in touch with your dermatologist. And don’t forget to follow their advice on how to deal with any problems that may incur.