The report of National Diabetes Statistics states that over 30 million people living in the United States are suffering from Diabetes. 30 million people are about 10% population of USA. Diabetes is a most underrated disease which takes a toll on many human lives every year. It is the 7th leading cause of death in the USA. Hence, it is very important to take appropriate action against this deadly disease.
Types of Diabetes
Diabetes has been categorized into three types –
- Type 1 – People who are affected by type-1 diabetes tends to produce insufficient insulin. Patients in this category take insulin shots throughout their life and follow a specific prescribed diet.• Type 2 – Production of insulin, in this case, is irregular. Alternatively, cells may develop resistance to insulin. 90% of diabetic patients are Type 2. This type of diabetes can be controlled but gets worse over a period of time. Ultimately, the patients have to switch to insulin shots. Overweight people are at high risk as compared to the healthy ones.
• Gestational Diabetes – It occurs during pregnancy when a patient’s high glucose intake isn’t balanced by glucose conversion. It can cause major complications on childbirth.
Medications may help to control diabetes but it depends upon the type and severity of a diabetic patient. But natural remedies will never disappoint you with any side-effects and will be helpful to treat your diabetes. Many herbs are proved to have blood sugar lowering properties that are useful for patients with or at high risk of type 2 diabetes.
- Bitter Gourd
Bitter melon is bitter but its results are really sweet when it comes to controlling diabetes. Kudos to its blood glucose lowering effects. How is Bitter Gourd helpful to control diabetes?
- It influences the glucose metabolism all over the body.
- It helps increase pancreatic insulin secretion and prevents insulin resistance.
All the above-mentioned properties of Bitter Gourd make it suitable for the treatment of Type-1 and Type-2 diabetes.
Usage of Bitter Gourd
- Take 2-3 bitter gourds and remove the seeds from them.
- With help of juicer, extract the juice out of it.
- Add some water to the obtained juice.
- Drink the mixture with empty stomach each morning.
- Follow this remedy for at least 2 months.
Also, it is advised to include one dish made of bitter gourd daily in your diet. Note that this remedy cannot be used to entirely replace the insulin treatment.
Cinnamon is best known as a household ingredient used in various mouth-watering dishes, however, you will be surprised to know that it is the best home remedy if you are suffering from diabetes. Cinnamon is proved to stimulate the insulin activity, thereby regulating the blood sugar level. A bioactive compound resides in Cinnamon which helps to fight and prevent diabetes.
A study conducted at Western University of Health Sciences in Pomona, Calif. found that the consumption of cinnamon is associated with a statistically significant decrease in plasma glucose levels, LDL cholesterol and triglyceride levels.
Usage of cinnamon
- Take raw cinnamon and boil it in 2 glasses of water.
- Let it cool for 30 minutes and have it daily.
- Or if you have grounded cinnamon, mix ½ tsp of it with warm water and have it once daily.
Make sure that you do not use cinnamon in excess as it can increase the risk of liver damage due to a compound called coumarin present in it.
You might be aware of the fact that Vitamin C is good for your skin. Yes, it is true but at the same, it is also true that Vitamin C is a good source to intake if you want to get rid of diabetes. It is said that consuming approximately 600 mg of Vitamin C daily can improve the blood sugar level significantly. What can be the best source of Vitamin C when Amla (Indian Gooseberry) is present in your kitchen?
Usage of Indian Gooseberry
- Take two to three Indian gooseberries, remove the seeds and grind it into a fine paste.
- Put the paste in a cloth and squeeze out the juice.
- Mix two tablespoon of the juice in one cup of water and drink it daily on an empty stomach.
- Aloe Vera
Aloe vera is considered as the ‘king’ of all the natural remedies. It can be used in almost all the ailments and same is the case with diabetes. This herbal medicine found 1000 years ago is used to heal, rejuvenate and soothe the skin.
Found mostly in Caribbean, South Africa, and Latin America, the plant’s leaves contain a clear gel that is widely used to treat diabetes.
Usage of Aloe Vera
- Although the taste of Aloe Vera is bitter, you can make it taste better after combining it with buttermilk.
The anti-inflammatory properties of Aloe Vera are said to control the blood sugar levels.
`Diabetes has become a very common health problem, so it is important to tackle it effectively and efficiently by switching to afore-mentioned home remedies.