Lying out in the beach, enjoying the bright sun and riding the horses of your dream are one of the best things one can imagine. The bitter truth is that this beach is like a cooker and sun is like a fire. You are a little chicken laying in this cooker, enjoying yourself before the fire hits you and roast you down.
As per the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), a survey was conducted among the persons of USA aged 18-29 years, considering the years 2000-2010 and they have documented that although protective behaviors such as sunscreen use, shade use, and wearing long clothing to the ankles have increased in recent years, sunburn prevalence remains high, with 50.1% of all adults and 65.6% of whites aged 18–29 years reporting at least one sunburn in the past 12 months.
What causes Sunburn?
As a layman, you might be aware of the fact that when you are exposed to the sun for long period of time you get sunburn which leads to redness and irritation of your skin. But what is the real science behind it?
Sun fires the three bullet (wavelengths) named UVA, UVB and UVC. Our earth has commissioned many layers before these bullets reach the surface of the earth. UVC bullet is destroyed by the shield above the earth surface and hence it does not reach the earth. The other two bullets dodge all the shields and reach the surface of earth and penetrate deep into your skin, altering your DNA. As the time passes, this alteration in your DNA can also cause skin cancer.
How to save the skin from peeling after the sunburn?
- Hydrate- Sun exposure can cause increased fluid loss and dehydration, so it is important to refill the lost fluids in your body after the sunburn.
Refilling is only possible if you drink plenty of water as drinking water will keep your skin hydrated and moisturized. You can also try drinking some unsweetened ice tea. The antioxidants in green and black tea may help repair free radical damage from the sun.
Please note drinking lots and lots of water a day doesn’t make your skin sunburn proof as was penned down by Tom Brady who thinks drinking 2.5 gallons of water a day has made him immune to sunburn.
- Aloe Vera- Aloe Vera is best called as “burn plant” as it emerges out as the best natural remedy for the bad sunburn. Although many aloe vera products like moisturizers and creams are available in market but why not get the source and fasten the fight against sunburn?The Aloe Vera can aid healing, fight sunburn pain and avoid infections. Try to store the aloe vera in the refrigerators so that it provides more cooling effect when applied on the skin.
- Moisturizer- Take a shower and once you are done with it makes sure you dry your skin completely. After drying up the skin, apply a moisturizing lotion that is specifically designed to work on sunburned or peeling skin. Do this immediately after stepping out of the shower.Most of the moisturizers contain aloe vera which will cool your skin and reduce inflammation.
- Numbing Cream- Sometimes sunburn gets worsen because of the pain they carry with themselves and its tingling effect will make you feel as you are burning. Cold compress and other remedies like moisturizer give you relief but they may not work in severe sunburn.When such is the case, you can use the numbing cream to minimize the burning sensation. Numbing cream is for immediate relief from sun burn and nothing else.
- Cold Bath- To cool down your skin, it is advised to take a cold bath or shower but make sure that harsh soaps do not come in contact with your sunburned area and avoid drying your affected area after the shower as it can peel off the affected area because of the friction produced.
- Say No to scratching- You might get feel to scratch your skin and in one go peel the skin off, but it’s not a good decision to go ahead with. Burned skin is often itchy, but scratching it will only cause the tissue damage and can result in peeling of your skin.Peeling skin can become infected if you forcefully peel the skin. Apply ice cubes wrapped in cloth if you get an urge to itch the affected area.
- Vinegar- Pour Apple Cider Vinegar in a spray bottle and apply it onto your affected area. The vinegar can help to prevent unsightly blisters and prevent peeling.If you get offended with the skin, mix a solution of 1 part water and one part vinegar and spray that into your skin.
- A Balanced Diet- A diet which is full of nutrients should be preferred. A diet should consist of fruits, vegetables and lean meats which can keep your skin healthy and make sure the intake of water is high. Eat plenty of protein, iron and food that contain vitamins A, C and E as these nutrients ensure that your skin gets healed from sunburn.
I can feel the love you experience when you take a sunbath but at same time I can also feel that worst feeling you incur when you get hit by sunburn. Lets hit back the sunburn by taking all the precautions and shine like a bright sunny day.